Getting an 8-band score in IELTS needs thorough practice and preparation. We are discussing the tips for boosting your performance in the IELTS test here. This ultimate IELTS listening guide to boosting your band score will help you obtain a great score on the test.
What is the Purpose of the IELTS Listening Test?
The listening test helps the examiners evaluate the exact language proficiency of the individuals. It simply enables them to assess how well the candidate can comprehend an idea presented in English. The IELTS listening test will:
- Reveal whether you can imbibe the basic concept as well as the in-depth aspects shared
- Display your attitude and how much you can delve into a specific topic discussed in English
- State your capability to follow a discussion, debate, or argument
IELTS Listening Test Format
The format of the IELTS listening test will tell you the importance of practice and preparation. Unlike other examinations, you will have to concentrate on the subject discussed in the recording. The most crucial factor is that you can listen to the recordings only once. That is the catch of the IELTS listening test.
The IELTS listening test format is:
- Recording 1 – In this segment, the candidate will listen to a conversation between two. The subject would be generic.
- Recording 2 – A monologue is given in this part of the IELTS listening test. The person might talk about things like a guided tour or activities in a social environment.
- Recording 3 – This section of the listening test will have two people talking or discussing training or education-related subjects. A third speaker might moderate or guide the discussion.
- Recording 4 – A university-style lecture or a monologue on a subject is provided in the fourth section of the IELTS listening test.
Tips for IELTS Listening Test Preparation
You can enhance the chances of obtaining the best grade by preparing for the IELTS listening test. A methodical preparation, confident attitude, and concentration are the key to scoring well in IELTS listening.
- Listen to Audio Clips Repeatedly – Just listen to different audio clips repeatedly without reading. Improve your ability to identify the keywords and memorize them. Subsequently, you will start understanding the crux of the recordings.
- Practice Listening (without reading) – Make it a habit to understand the concepts without reading. Make yourself comfortable with the listening exercise. The improvement would be evident to you.
- Read and understand – Read the texts and check how much you can understand. Presuming the meaning of new words from the context is helpful in strengthening the word power.
- Read and Listen – Now you practice listening and reading the text simultaneously.
These steps would aid you in preparing well and scoring the best in the IELTS listening test.